December 10th we got our first egg from our second batch of layers, the brutal, fiesty, little leghorns (by the way, all 3 of the remaining wonderbirds have survived re-entry). It was small but very good quality. This is coming at a very good time as our Rhode Islands have seriously slacked off on production. We get an egg a day usually from 7 chickens. Molting, shorter days, whatever the reason, I’m sick of oatmeal for breakfast. I bought some “healthy” eggs from the supermarket this week. Yesterday for breakfast we used 2 of the store bought (organic, free-range) eggs and the only 2 of our’s we had. The picture shows a little of the difference. Basically, our yolks were much bigger, brighter and firmer. The whites showed a better consistency as well. The store bought yolks broke easily and the whites were thin and slimey. We haven’t gotten any more eggs from them yet so we’re still having to eat a lot of oatmeal and supplement with the store bought, but at least relief is in sight.
As for the goats… still pregnant. I’m buying hay for them today because they are as rambunctious as anything and they keep tangling their leads when we tether them. I wish I could be so spry with a big ole belly. It thuroughly tired me out yesterday untangling them every 30-45 minutes. Today, they stay in the pen and eat hay.
As for the goats… still pregnant. I’m buying hay for them today because they are as rambunctious as anything and they keep tangling their leads when we tether them. I wish I could be so spry with a big ole belly. It thuroughly tired me out yesterday untangling them every 30-45 minutes. Today, they stay in the pen and eat hay.
No comments:
Post a Comment