Anthracnose. I'm assuming its somehow related to Anthrax, but thankfully not that bad. Anyway, this fungus had a hay day running through our garden. It started about a week and a half ago. We had several very hot days with really high humidity, but no rain. I was watering as normal, mostly in the morning, a little drink in the heat of the afternoon and then another little drink at night. It apparently was too much with so much humidity. On June 14th, I noticed black spots on some watermelon leaves. It was rather extensive and I hadn't noticed before so I took quick action knowing it must have traveled fast. According to our handy library of organic gardening books, it could have been anything but most fungi could be organicly treated with Copper Sulfate. So we bought some that night. I sprayed the next morning and noticed it had spread even further. I've continued to spray every few days, trying mostly to protect new growth. I can't tell if its still spreading or if the leaves that already had it are just dying from it, but there is now a large brown patch in the midst of our garden. The fruit so far seems unaffected and the vines are still green. I'm hoping with continued protection the vines will fill back in... anyone out there that can encourage me in this??? I finally determined it must be anthracnose as it has hit our tomatoes, a bit on the pumpkins and some on the grape vines. We lost maybe half a dozen tomatoes to the big black spots on the bottoms. I'm learning more about companion planting to prevent this, but its a bit late for that now.
On a more positive note, we're enjoying the amaranth leaves as a warm season green for sandwiches and salads. Our sorghum is heading up nicely despite an attack of aphids. Our second garden is coming in well. We had a week of good rains which always helps. We're still waiting to harvest our first watermelon. Its gotten quite big, but not showing suitable signs of ripeness yet. We also have a pineapple that should be ready soon. I need to build a cage for it to keep it from becoming coon food.
We've finished building the fence for the pasture, but we're running into trouble getting it electrified. After much troubleshooting, we think its our ground rod. Our little 3 foot rod worked fine in the front yard where the water table is closer to the ground surface, but the back yard is much higher and drier. We'll be shopping for an 8 footer this afternoon.
Gotta go rescue a kid who's head is stuck in a chicken feeder... that would be a GOAT kid, by the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment