It started Friday night where we made ketchup. Yes, original ketchup was fermented and not loaded with sugar and sodium. Then we made a nursing mother's tonic of quinoa milk. Saturday we made pineapple chutney, Rejuvelac (sprouted wheat juice), cucumber pickles, pickled grape leaves (from our vines) and gingerale. Its all pictured along with 3 pumpkins and a pineapple we harvested recently as well as the cream cheese we made to have all the whey for everything else. We had the ketchup with dinner last night and it was really tastey. We also sampled the pineapple chutney- again, a nice, refreshing snack. The quinoa milk is ready today, but I'm chilling it before I taste it (and I'll probably wait for Randy anyway). The other things will be ready for munching in the next few days. If anyone is interested in the cookbook, click the link below. It is packed with nutritional information as well as good old-fashioned recipes from all over the world. Just be prepared to have your nutritional ideas challenged heartily!
This is our family scrapbook that can be worked on with a kid or 2 in my lap. We enjoyed the making of these memories. We hope you enjoy the sharing of them.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Weekend Celebrations
I know Randy and I are weird concerning our dates- We love Home Depot dates. We've gone on "sea weed dates" where we stroll along the beach, hand in hand... at least until a pile of sea weed is spotted. Then its an all out sprint to add it to our own bag. In the end, its a competition to see who can add the most sea weed to our garden. Another favorite date is making fun things from Nourishing Traditions, the Weston A. Price Foundation cookbook. We've made kimchi (Korean sauerkraut), gingerale, and various other lacto-fermented yummies. To celebrate our anniversary, we had an all-out blitzkreig of fermentation.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment