This is our family scrapbook that can be worked on with a kid or 2 in my lap. We enjoyed the making of these memories. We hope you enjoy the sharing of them.
Monday, December 1, 2008
Garden update
And a final post for today- our garden. We are learning so much each season and this is no exception. My garlic is already up and strong. I still have another bulb to plant too! I heard not to expect much from garlic in the south, but it really is looking good. My 4 good tomato plants are HUGE, but not bearing much fruit. The fruit that's on it hasn't ripened. My peas are getting too little sun and so are quite small despite being in the ground for over 2 months now. I'm considering moving them to the other garden where the southern sun isn't shaded by the house. Our cucumbers were looking superb, but anthracnose has again hit with a vengeance. Spraying has held it off, but it still looks like we'll be loosing it before an abundant harvest. Our cucumbers contributed to our Thanksgiving salad and were mighty tasty though! I gave up on my long beans. They were constantly being swarmed with aphids and not getting enough water in the drip irrigation to grow well. They are drying up and I'm letting them. Beats and onions are kinda weak- only a few plants remain of each and are still only seedling size though its been over a month in the ground. Good sun, good moisture. I don't understand. My lettuce is finally starting to grow. Carrots are barely hanging in there. Mustard greens are doing well (though I only had 1 plant worth planting!) Broccoli is strong, but not big yet. Spinach, 2 plantings worth, have a precious few remaining- I'm not sure why. But my sunflowers are opening now and that is a welcomed sight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment