Saturday, May 16, 2009

Waging War

The pickleworms have met their match. I bagged everything that wasn't already affected with brown paper bags and zip ties (Randy often calls our homestead Ziptie Ranch), pulled off what was affected and fed them to the chickens. They LOVED it! Then I pulled out the big guns- Sevin. I hate to say that, but research said it was a surer way to hold them off. I figured if I hit this generation with something strong, I could probably hold back the next generations organically. The fruit was already bagged so was moderately protected from the spray itself. I also know that Sevin has been around for AGES. Most chemical pesticides will meander their way OFF the shelves after a few years because of toxicity that never gets discovered until its poisoning its users. If I went this round organically and it didn't do much, I'd be in for a real fight with 10x the number of bugs in just a few weeks. I can assure you that what I planted was NOT resistant... as in I wasn't going to do any squash on account of anthracnose, but decided to give it a try when I saw some bargain seeds on sale at Walgreens of all places. We're not talking Burpee or Ferry Morse... just whatever gets sold 4 for $1 at Walgreens. Doesn't even have a variety name on the package. Next year, I'll know better.

Challenges for the week are still coming despite overcoming the major hurdle of not having water. Gloria woke up this morning covered in welts the size of my palm and running a fever. She just cried and wanted to be held. I thought it might have been a bug that decided to have an all-night buffet on our little girl, but later the welts grew, her fever increased and she was more uncomfortable than before. My midwife (I love her, she's great!) suggested a dose of benedryl and finding out if any of the kids she has recently played with had received an MMR in the last couple weeks (meaning they would be carrying the live virus still). The benedryl, after an hour or so (along with a lot of good corporate prayer) took away the welts. I also rubbed a diluted apple cider vinegar solution on them. She's still running a fever and is quite lethargic, but the end is in sight. Now to figure out what caused it... playing in a chlorine pool for the first time in many months, sucking fingers after getting them wet in the rain barrel, some kind of fungus thing that didn't wash off a plum, or any number of combinations of things. Praise God we have a Healer in the house!

Aaron, though thankfully quite healthy, has been banned to only wearing onesies and long pants after I cleaned up poop for the second time today (not to mention the multiple times this week). He's found great fun inside his pants recently (why does the fascination start so young?!?!) and that coupled with a very active digestive system means that he's frequently finding poop when he finds a way into his diaper. I cleaned out all the t-shirts and shorts from his drawer today and will go shopping for more onesies and pants as soon as Gloria is feeling up to it. There comes a time when making him sweat is the only feasible weapon against a house painted in poop.

Parenting is NOT for sissies. But then again, neither is gardening. Here's to all those with the wisdom to help us not just fight a war, but win it.

No comments: