Friday, June 19, 2009

Spontaneity

Spontaneity- I'm so NOT spontaneous, I don't even know if I spelled it right. The spell checker is agreeing with me... but what does that mean?

Anyway, regardless of my claim to like to plan ahead, have my lists, rarely stray from a scheduled day, I did. All week. It first started with a decision to weed a BADLY infested herb garden and mulch what I could as many of the plants are still too small to handle a heavy mulching. Then I was picking beans and tomatoes in the garden, got frustrated when EVERY zuke and yellow squash I picked up was heavily infested with pickle worms and ripped them out. Yup. Their days are done. Anthracnose was really taking its toll anyway and I was feeling a bit defeated with a spray schedule that immediately gets washed off in the afternoon rains. But in ripping them out I discovered a hot pepper plant that had 3 little peppers on it. I picked the largest and Randy practically danced with excitement. I've also decided to rip out a few tomato plants and put them in pots, if they can handle the transfer, just to give the others some more room to breathe. Then yesterday I had a few extra minutes of "outside time" before I ventured inside for the dreaded "cleaning day". Well, I spent more than a few extra minutes as I got sucked into weeding a bed that was 100% covered in weeds. I had planted cowpeas, but, remember that bunny??? Yup, ate all but 4. I weeded it, covered it in plastic and transplanted the remaining cowpeas into prepared holes in the plastic. Tomorrow I'll plant the sweet potato slips that are still growing like wild on our porch into the same bed and possibly weed and mulch the rest. Yesterday I was admiring my abundant basil and decided to scrap my dinner plans and make pesto instead. Well, to keep it short, it wasn't so great. I mixed some overgrown zucchini sliced like pasta, but still raw in with some brown rice noodles. Not one of the best meals I've made. I'm open to new pesto recipes if anyone has one though! I also had the thought of finding free tile from Craig's list to put on our walkways between garden beds. This would prevent weeds (which are growing, not through the underlayer of weed cloth, but right up in the mulch!) as well as provide a distinction between mulched beds and mulched walkways when its time to dig up the beds. Well, the thought came yesterday and today free tile was posted. I snagged it... on my way to get supplies for our sheep which Randy and his dad will pick up tomorrow. The sheep are certainly not much for spontaneity since we've been planning this for a few weeks... even these particular sheep for a solid week, but in our book... this is moving kinda fast. But here we are, flying by the seat of some proverbial pants. And I haven't a clue what to make for dinner.

No comments: