Friday, October 8, 2010

The Muffin Man

I love Friday mornings. Randy leaves super early (that's not the part I love) to attend a men's prayer meeting and I get to quietly lurk in our room and let the kids sleep late. So, while I'm listening to Copper's pleas to his ladies for a romantic interlude (which he's been doing all night!), I'll post some pictures from a park excursion we took last weekend.















Nathan had his first birthday a couple weeks ago. We're kinda knee-jerking with birthday parties though... we see too much we don't like about them, in our own kids even, that we decided to buck the norm and have a birthday UNparty. There's a local playground with a "Toddler Town" that Nathan LOVES to play on. So to celebrate his birthday we went there, with some playful grandparents, and let him romp to his heart's content. It was a blast. Everyone had so much fun. No cake but had banana muffins instead. No presents but family. No stress, no clean-up, no problem.
The boys had fallen asleep after church that afternoon, as planned, but they were sleeping much later than expected. And we had the freedom to let them sleep. Aaaaahhhhh. Instead of holding fast to the plan, Randy and his mom grabbed a net, some chicken parts (that we freeze for the dog) and a bucket and took Gloria to the river for some crabbing. They had great fun and came home just as the boys were rousing. After getting a muffin or 2 into a few bellies, we were off for our somewhat regular Sunday afternoon park excursion. And you can see the fun we had!

Happy Birthday, Nathan! We LOVE you!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great day.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

One year old already! Happy Birthday, Nathan!!

We still make a cake, or at least cupcakes, but I've been rebelling against the big birthday bash idea lately, too. When you get several kids, big parties are too crazy. You can't even enjoy your child because you're so focused on the party. So, yeah, we came up with a three-year rotation. Starting when they're ten they can have friends over for a party, followed by one no-party year, and one extended-family party year. We've got it all planned out until this new baby is 18. ha ha! We're not usually this organized.... But I think it will keep me sane. Five birthday parties in a year would be a disaster, on me and our budget. ;)

Amy