Today gave the first sign of life for our peach tree. Our plum tree, too, just came out of dormancy a few days ago. Its always a bit nail biting how long it takes of warm weather before they show signs of greenery. Our bare root blackberries still have us wondering their fate.
Another little sprout had a first today... Gloria had her first
I've been overhauling the beds in one garden the last couple days. Double digging (digging out one small section, putting it in a bucket, shoveling out the next section and dumping it in the first, repeating all the way down the line until you put the contents of the bucket into the last remaining hole) and adding composted cow manure. I have all our squash in one solid block which I will spray with copper sulfate right from the get go to hopefully keep anthracnose away... or at very least concentrated to one area. Peppers and tomatoes are in beds though the sprouts were still a bit on the small side. Corn and red-seeded asparagus beans are looking great- every seed sprouted. Have those growing together in one bed. Gloria and I planted more seeds this morning- more corn, cowpeas, watermelon, okra, rattlesnake pole beans, and nasturtiums.
Gloria also got her own "garden" this weekend- a long window box (that a little brother can't dump over) that she got to plant, all by herself, nasturtiums (pretty flowers) and canteloupe (seeds from a melon we bought from the store). She's very proud of it, but its 100% hers so we'll see what happens. I expect something will sprout and she'll have more to be proud of.
The fig tree is holding its own right now. No new life on the affected areas yet, but root regrowth would be first anyway. I'm still putting sugar down occasionally and watering a bit everyday so it doesn't get dried out with its damaged root system. I think I'm winning.
Gloria and I also fertilized all our veggies and herbs today with "Sea Tea", a liquid fish emulsion fertilizer. She had a great time with the sprayer and was such a help when it came to cleaning it and running fresh water through it. She watered the blackberries with the sprayer and loved every minute. She's already looking forward to Thursday when I said we would spray again (copper sulfate). Its nice to have a helper.
1 comment:
I give you credit for all your attempts at gardening and trying new products. I have my seeds for the new growing season, but with the April showers things are far to wet to think about starting to plant and still much too cool also. We are seeing signs of spring with flowering bulbs and the trees starting to bed forth. How can anyone doubt a God with the "rebirth" each spring. We are particpating in a Seder meal on Saturday night. The devotional material that we have used for the past two months has been very enlightening. Thanks for sharing your family and happenings in your lives. Aunt Kris
Post a Comment