
To say Gloria has exceeded all expectations in her scholastic achievement would be an understatement. She'll be finishing kindergarten by Christmas. Her 1st grade books are in and ready to go come January. We'll add a couple more subjects too, like spelling and Chinese, but we won't add things like science and history until fall of 2012. But the purpose of this post is to announce that Gloria has read her first book. She pulled it randomly from the shelf and started reading it one afternoon. I didn't even really realize she was doing it until she was half way through and struggling on the word "now". I sat down with her, and she read the entire book to me. Then read it for her dad later that evening.

The next day at the library, I grabbed more books that I felt were in her level and told her when she read all these books, she'll get her first "Book It" certificate and will get to go to Pizza Hut with the adult of her choice. She chose Grandma DeDee and has been very excited to finish her assigned readings. Today, she asked if she could read with me. So we snuggled in for her to read a new book to me. I figured 1 book and she'd be done and ready to play outside some more. Nope. She read
Rick Is Sick then asked for another. So then she read
Oh, Cats. By that time Nathan had joined us and he wanted
Jack and Rick... so she read that one to Nathan. And since her memory is incredible, I somewhat expect that she has Jack and Rick memorized by now, since she's read it 4 times, but its still good practice, I think. I just called Grandma Dedee and warned her she would be having a date with a little girl a whole lot sooner than we expected!
No comments:
Post a Comment