This morning I was out mowing the front lawn and noticed a very strange looking hole at the bottom of the front drainage ditch... the one that fills with water for a while every time we get a heavy rain. The thought of a snake bite killing our goats seemed a bit more plausible to me now. So I jumped online to see what I could find. Turns out the dizziness, uncoordination, increased thirst, shaking, seizure like movements, etc that Cocoa had are all symptoms of a pit viper bite. I'm wondering now if that black snake we were heralding was actually an older water moccasin. It could have come out to swim in the ditch after the rain. That would explain why the goats were not under any covering... it would have bit them well after the rain had passed. There were no marks that I could see, but they were also very furry little goats. I spent over an hour on the phone with various organizations: Fish and Game Commission, Animal Control, ect. And finally got the number to a private lady who just loves to catch snakes. When I called her, she was thrilled. She's going to an expo this weekend and will have new equipment to use. She suspects it was more like a rattler than a water moccasin, but is coming over Sunday afternoon to see what she can do. And she's FREE!!! Boggled my mind. She does it because she loves doing it. We'll be celebrating my mother-in-law's birthday so hopefully we'll at least be able to send her away with a belly full of homemade ice cream and a dozen eggs. Its amazing what kind of defense comes on you what a poisonous snake is in the midst. Suddenly I want my kids no further than a couple feet from me and I want to be armed with our .22 at all times.
So... do you think they make maternity holsters???
2 comments:
I began following your blog today. My husband (of 27 years) and I are gardening seriously for the first time in many years. We do this for the love of our 19 month old grandson. Ours is the same philosophy as yours. We want the best for him and that includes teaching him about Jesus. Our daughter saw a huge rattler at a friend's small chicken farm last week. She was so scared she couldn't even drive over it. I understand your fear and pray that your family will be snake-less tomorrow.
LOL hi when is that baby due and when can valor and the kids and i come back to paino. and yeah i think we can make you so,ething im getting my machine out right now.
ps we have had sneaky snakes and babie snakes...heres to the snake lady bless her heart.
Post a Comment