Why do they call being cooped up in a house "house bound"? You're not bound for a house... you're already in one!
Anyway, yes, we're housebound. I have 3 sick kids. I'm slowly getting over my disbelief that we've taken ill twice in a month. At least this round I have just a slight touch of it and am able to keep up with my duties. But even still, earlier today I was tentatively planning an outing with a friend (and only 1 child whom would stay tucked in the sling less more germs be transmitted in either direction) to a fabric store who's having a very favorable sale right now. Then I got a headache and couldn't dream of actually wanting to go anywhere. Then I stuck the kids in front of a movie, laid down with Nathan as a physical barrier between him and those that would hug him, and fell asleep. 20 minutes was it, but I feel much better... good enough to again be feeling like I'm about to go crazy if I don't get out of the house! Which is worse... stir crazy or headachey?
Anyway, because I've been hounding everyone I know on how to make my kids better, here's my list of natural cold remedies that I'm employing... and yes, I'm employing them ALL!
Vitamin C- no brainer here. I use Emercen-C to make a drink for the kids.
Airborn- another no brainer. Like Emergen-C, its easy to get into kids too.
Honey- a natural anti-viral agent. I've been spreading it on toast and putting it in tea for kids.
Olive Leaf extract- anti-viral and anti-bacterial agent. For kids, I open the capsule and mix it with a spoonful of honey. Gloria takes it. Aaron won't.
Elderberry extract- anti-viral agent. Tastes really good so no problem getting the kids to take it by the spoonful. Called Sambucal in the stores.
Ginger- immuno-support and anti-bacterial agent. Kids won't take it so I make a yummy SPICEY tea with it as a treat for we adults.
Cod Liver Oil- immuno-support. This is a normal part of our diet, but we are more conscientious about taking it when illness is around. The flavored stuff is one of Gloria's most requested treats. She'll pretend to be sick to get an extra dose.
Colloidal Silver- don't know exactly what it does, but its supposed to help. Also the only thing I can give the tiniest tot.
Garlic- immuno-support. Adults take it in capsules. I cooked it in our collard greens last night, but I don't think the cooked stuff works the same. And there's no getting kids to eat massive amounts of garlicy collard greens in one sitting anyway.
Acidophilus (pro-biotics)- immuno-support. Adults take them in capsules. I give the kids straight homemade yogurt that they drink from a cup.
Eucalyptus- decongestant- put in a vaporizer and have some in bath wash formula (don't add straight to bathwater as it will burn!) too.
And on that note, its time to refill cups, dish out the colloidal silver and give the littlest a bath. And hopefully be able to escape for a change of scene tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment